CO Alarm Information

CO_2015LGimage
Printable Safety Tip Sheet
 
Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline,
wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn
fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide. 
 Every home should have CO alarms.
  • CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other
    locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms
    throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound. 
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
  • Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Dial 9-1-1, if the CO alarm sounds.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
  • If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone
    inside the home is accounted for. Dial 9-1-1 for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel.  
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled
    engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up. 
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside. 
 
 You can learn more by visiting the Carbon Monoxide Safety Association - cosafety.com
 
Click Here for FAQ about Carbon Monoxide 
City of Santa Monica © 2017
1685 Main St., Santa Monica, CA 90401 · (310) 458-8411 · TTY (310) 917-6626